Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter - Spring Training Progression: Week 2, Day 5

Agility Ladder
5 Sets

Box Jump
5 Sets of 3 Reps
Worked up to 45"

Sprint
5 Sets of 30 yds

Carrioca
6 Sets of 25 yds

Snatch Pulls
4 Sets of 5 Reps @ 80%

Clean Pulls from Blocks Below the Knee
4 Sets of 5 Reps @ 80%

Back Squat
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 75%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 80%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 85%

While my back isn't tight and I'm not in pain, I could really feel the fatigue in my back muscles during this training session as a result from the week in training.  I've been really happy with my training the past couple of weeks.  The sets of 10 squats are giving me confidence, and I'm getting more comfortable with the lifts after almost 2 weeks off (from the lifts, but not training!).

This current progression will last though mid-July in preparation for the California State Championships.  We'll see how training goes, but right now my goal is to hit 110kg in the snatch and 127kg in the clean & jerk.  LET'S GO!

As an aside, I wanted to share this research article with you on the comparisons of landing from a jump and receiving a barbell in weightlifting.  Hat tip to Waxman's Gym's Newsletter that recently went out.  If you follow me and are not signed up for this, click here and enter your email address on the left hand side.  There is always great articles and insight into the articles from journals and around the web.

Anyways, the article explains the benefits of the lifts, more specifically the clean and power clean, when it comes to training athletes that jump and run in the sport.  It's just not the extension that's important when using these lifts with athletes, but it's also the landing and training them to decelerate and absorb impact and energy efficiently.

Enjoy the read on that article and have a wonderful Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment