Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Jumps w/ the Bar + High Hang Power Clean - Training Progression: Week 12, Day 3

Snatch Pull from Deficit
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 100%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 105%

1 Set of 3 Reps @ 100%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 105%

1 Set of 3 Reps @ 100%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 105%

Clean Pull from Deficit
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 90%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 100%

1 Set of 3 Reps @ 90%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 100%

1 Set of 3 Reps @ 90%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 100%

Bench Press
4 Sets of 3 Reps

Daily Volume: 42
Weekly Volume: 133

A good "active rest" day.  Took me a couple sets to get rolling on the deficit pulls, but felt strong and fast once things started going.  I'll be pulling from a deficit for the next couple weeks to work on my speed off the floor, which has felt slow as of late.

Felt stronger on bench, however, finishing up my last two sets at 86kg.  This happens to be the most I've benched.  EVER. HAHAHA!  At least there's room for a crap ton of improvement!

Aside from a light training day, I had a HEAVY coaching day.  LOVE IT!  Today with the crew team, we kept up work on the clean.  I programmed sets and reps of jumps with the bar + high hang power clean.

When teaching the clean, or the snatch for that matter, I like to use 1-3 jumps before doing the actual movement.  This drill helps with the motor unit learning pattern of the clean because it reinforces the need to drive your legs in order to create vertical propulsion on the bar and extend the hips.  I find that athletes have an easier time getting the idea of finishing tall when doing this early in the learning process.

These girls are learning quickly and progressing well, so I'm very pleased.  I'm really looking forward to seeing their improvement by the end of the semester!



No comments:

Post a Comment