Thursday, December 20, 2012

Bouncing Back from Bad Lifts - Training Progression: Week 4, Day 3

Front Squat
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 80%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 85%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 80%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 85%

1 Set of 3 Reps @ 80%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 85%

Snatch
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 80%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 85%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 90%
4 Sets of 3 Reps @ 80%

Clean + Jerk
1 Set of 3 Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 60%
1 Set of 3 Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 70%
1 Set of 3 Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 80%
1 Set of 3 Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 85%
1 Set of 2 Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 90%
3 Sets of 3 Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 80%

Snatch Deadlift from Blocks Below the Knee
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 100%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 110%

1 Set of 4 Reps @ 100%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 110%

1 Set of 4 Reps @ 100%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 110%

Press
4 Sets of 5 Reps

Daily Volume: 129
Weekly Volume: 372

Damn, today was a mix of good and bad.  Good in the sense that I missed just one snatch out of 26, and it happened to be my second rep at 90%.  I'll take that any.day.of.the.week!

Now the bad. HA!  My cleans were a BIG struggle.  I missed 2 out of 3 clean at 85%, and missed my second attempt at 90%.  I was slow off the ground and made contact way too low, which resulted in me getting pinned at the bottom.  After my 90%, I had 3 sets left at 80%, and I ended up making all the cleans and sticking all the jerks.  Go figure, my very last set of cleans were the best and the easiest.

With that in mind, today's big take away was bouncing back from tough misses.  In weightlifting, as with most sports, you need to have a very short memory and be mentally tough.  During competitions, you might need to get over a missed lift in 2 minutes.

When training gets tough, as it did today for me, you need to sack up and keep fighting.  Never give up. Always give yourself the benefit of the doubt.  You have nothing to lose.  Attack the bar and give it your best shot - even if you miss a couple times previously.  This sport is about bouncing back, and quickly, from failure.

My buddy, Brian Catalano, also had a huge night of bouncing back.  While going for a PR clean & jerk attempt, he missed the clean twice.  Keeping his focus, Brian ended up making the clean, but missed the jerk.  Regardless, it was a 7kg clean PR!  This is also coming back from a wrist injury that he f-ed up while cleaning heavy.  A huge mental hurdle that was overcome tonight by him after missing twice on the way to getting a new BIG PR!  Congrats Brian!

Enjoy the videos!

Made 1st, missed 2nd snatch @ 90%


Made first, missed second clean @ 90%


Brian's 1st attempt - a miss


Brian hits a 7kg clean PR on his 3rd attempt!


No comments:

Post a Comment