Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Train Everyday - Training Progression: Week 5, Day 1

Back Squat
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 60%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 70%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 80%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 85%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 90%

Hang Snatch
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 70%
2 Sets of 4 Reps @ 80%
2 Sets of 4 Reps @ 75%

Hang Clean + Jerk
1 Set of 4 Hg. Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 60%
1 Set of 4 Hg. Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 70%
1 Set of 3 Hg. Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 80%
2 Sets of 4 Hg. Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 75%

Behind the Neck Push Press
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 75%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 60%
3 Sets of 4 Reps @ 65%

RDL
5 Sets of 5 Reps @ 80%

Back Squat

1 Set of 5 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 5 Reps @ 70%
4 Sets of 4 Reps @ 70%

Daily Volume: 129
Weekly Volume: 129

I love Christmas and spending time with the family, but man, taking extra days off really kills momentum built in training.  In fact, anything more than 2 days rest really seems to set me back.  I took Monday and Tuesday off to spend time with family from out of town, which was needed and wanted, however, I definitely paid for it today.

Today's training session lasted about 4.5 hours.  Snatches and clean & jerks felt good, even at my higher adjusted weights (basing percentages off of 105/123 now), but my push presses and especially my squats killed me today.

For the first squat session, I increased the numbers I was basing my percentages off of (155, as opposed to 150).  My hips were tight again as they were a couple weeks ago, but I was able to manage the weight up to 90%, which I ultimately had to bail from.

I missed 2 snatches and 1 clean total, which was pretty solid.  Very happy...about that...

For the push presses, I missed 3 of 4 reps @ 70%, missed my 75%, and had to reduce my 3x4 from 70% to 67% in order to get the sets done. Wheels starting to fall off now...

Now onto the really ugly part.  4 hours later, it was time to squat again!  Boy oh boy, the weight felt significantly heavier this time around.  I had to bail at my first rep at 80%, which lead me to readjust my weights back to the old percentages.  Unfortunately, that didn't seem to help, as I had to bail 2 times in a row.  Pretty demoralizing.  I ended up doing my working sets at 70%, which were much more manageable, but still tough.  So glad to be done with this training session.

With that in mind, we came to the following conclusions: 1) days I squat twice, which will be 3 times a week, we'll turn it into a double day so I have more time to recover and really attack the weight.  2) Train every day and don't take more time off then needed (1-2 days).  The reasoning behind this goes back to what I discussed in an earlier post about adaptation and getting away from your homeostasis.



No comments:

Post a Comment