Saturday, December 8, 2012

Training Progression: Week 2, Day 6 - Volume

Power Snatch
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 75%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 65%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 70%

Power Clean + Power Jerk
1 Set of 3 P.Cl. + 1 P.Jr. @ 60%
1 Set of 3 P.Cl. + 1 P.Jr. @ 70%
1 Set of 1 P.Cl. + 1 P.Jr. @ 75%
1 Set of 3 P.Cl. + 1 P.Jr. @ 60%
1 Set of 3 P.Cl. + 1 P.Jr. @ 70%

RDL
1 Set of 5 Reps @ 80%
3 Sets of 4 Reps @ 90%
2 Sets of 2 Reps @ 100%

Front Squat
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 80%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 85%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 90%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 80%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 85%

Daily Volume: 69
Weekly Volume: 528

Today was the lightest day of the week and my legs felt relatively "fresh".  I'm finding it much easier to pull myself more aggressively under the bar on the clean.  My focus next week will continue to emulate the same feeling with the snatch.  My 90% front squat felt really solid.

I'm glad to have a rest day tomorrow, but excited to get back to training come Monday!

If you've been noticing at the end of my workouts, I keep track of both my daily and weekly volume.  So we're all on the same page, I wanted to elaborate on what I consider and count in my volume, as well as why the volume is what it is.

According to Tudor O. Bompa's, Periodization Training for Sports, volume is a quantitative element of strength training that measure the total work for a given exercise or training phase (Bompa, 44).  For my program, my volume includes the total sets x total reps of each exercise, and ultimately each training session.

Currently, my training volume is high due to the fact that I'm in a preparatory phase.  This phase, and overall training volume, will become more valuable as I approach a competition phase, which typically includes much higher intensities on a regular basis. Bompa explains that "as athletes adapt to higher volumes of training, they experience better recovery between sets and training sessions.  This, in turn, results in more work per training session per week, making possible further increases in training volume." (Bompa, 43)

This is exactly what I'm experiencing right now in my training.  This phase of training may be tough, but it's preparing my body for the stress of higher intensities as I progress further in my training.  I'm looking forward to it!!

Power Snatch @ 75%


Power Clean & Jerk @ 75%


P.S. To get your hands on Periodization Training for Sports, click on the link below.  I'm in the middle of reading it, and love it.  It seems that I read something that is relevant to my training almost daily, which is why I've been referencing it in my rants as of late.


No comments:

Post a Comment