Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Fighting Through the Depths of Mordor - Cal State Championships Progression: Week 1, Day 2

Hand Stand Kick Ups
3 Sets of 7 Reps

Vertical Jump w/ Barbell
4 Sets of 5 Reps @ 50%

Snatch
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 60%
2 Sets of 4 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 80%
2 Sets of 2 Reps @ 85%
2 Sets of 3 Reps @ 80%

Clean + Front Squat
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 70%
2 Sets of 3 Reps @ 80%
2 Sets of 4 Reps @ 70%

Front Squat
1 Sets of 6 Reps @ 50%
1 Sets of 5 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 80%

Snatch Pulls
1 Set of 5 Reps @ 70%
2 Sets of 4 Reps @ 80%
2 Sets of 3 Reps @ 90%

Daily Volume: 125
Weekly Volume: 245

Accessory Work

Rear Raise
3 Sets of 15 Reps

DB Upright Row
3 Sets of 15 Reps

Forward Raise
3 Sets of 15 Reps

Dumbbell Shrug
3 Sets of 15 Reps

Holy smokes, today's training took me to a very dark place.  I felt like I was fighting my way through the depths of Mordor.  This one hit me like a nice swift kick to the nuts.  Definitely up there as one of the most difficult training sessions, mentally, that I've had in a long time.

The vertical jump with the bar on the back was new.  More or less it was a variation of a jump squat, however, you didn't really squat.  Before jumping, the point is to position yourself more or less in the high hang position.  Interesting, but I like it!  Really forces you to drive the legs and extend the hips.

My focus with the snatches was not leaning too far back in my finish.  In doing so, I felt like I was in a better receiving position than usual.  I ended up, however, missing my second reps at 85%, as well as my third reps in the last sets at 80%. It was during those sets where my mental battle began and things started to get really tough.

The cleans + front squats were solid, but crap, this part was all mental.  Had to dig deep to get through every set and rep. Made all the lifts, however, which was a big win.  I'm still alive too.  I love to battle and I love to win!

Putting the snatch pulls at the end was just evil.  No legs.  No explosiveness.  HA!

Today was no doubt a lesson in mental toughness and perseverance.  Had to tell the negative voices in my head to shut the hell up after what seemed like every rep.  It's a pain and discomfort that's hard to describe.  Prior to this, I was a water polo player and then a crossfitter.  I've felt the pain (not injury pain) of many swim and leg sets and crossfit wods, but this is totally different.  The physical pain and discomfort might be similar I guess, but weightlifting is just way more mentally exhausting.  Draining is a good way to put it.  I LOVE it though!  Just means I have to be on top of my recovery game.

Time to go hit up an epsom salt bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment