Sunday, April 28, 2013

Training as a Group Brings So Much Energy - Cal State Championships Training Progression: Week 1, Day 5

Snatch
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 80%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 85%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 80%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 85%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 70%

Clean & Jerk
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 80%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 80%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 70%

Front Squat
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 50%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 80%

Daily Volume: 79
Weekly Volume: 495

This was the first time that I've trained more or less with the entire weightlifting team since starting my internship at SC.  The biggest thing I noticed right off the bat, especially once we started getting into our heavier working sets, was the energy.  I love it.  I missed it.  I'm glad I'm back.

Training by yourself sucks.  Training with a group around you, even if they're not doing the same thing as you, is good.  Training with a partner who is doing the same thing is better.  Training with a group of 4-8 people all doing the same thing is AWESOME!  It's awesome because it brings a great energy around your training, even if you feel like you're going through hell.  It motivates and pushes you to kick ass and out lift the others.  It keeps you on track.  It keeps you accountable.

This is timely because I read this article by Bob Takano earlier this week that discusses exactly what I experienced.  While Bob's article is weightlifting specific, the same can be said about any training environment: sport specific practice, sports teams in the weight room, crossfit, running, etc.

I'm really looking forward to training with the team much more consistently!

No comments:

Post a Comment