Friday, April 26, 2013

Positions Matter - Cal State Championships Training Progression: Week 1, Day 4

Power Snatch from Blocks Above the Knee
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 50%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 60%
4 Sets of 3 Reps @ 70%

Power Clean from Blocks Above the Knee + Jerk
1 Set of 4 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 3 Reps @ 60%
2 Sets of 3 Reps @ 70%

Back Squat
1 Set of 5 Reps @ 50%
2 Sets of 4 Reps @ 60%
2 Sets of 3 Reps @ 70%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 80%

Clean Pull from Blocks Above the Knee
3 Sets of 4 Reps @ 90%

Daily Volume: 78
Weekly Volume: 416

Accessory Work

Seated Press
3 Sets of 15 Reps

Press
3 Sets of 15 Reps

Back Extensions
3 Sets of 12 Reps

Abs
3 Sets of 25 Reps

Today was about getting the proper positions down with the block work.  The purpose of block work is to isolate a specific position with the lift in order to perfect it.

With the position at the mid thigh, there should be some flexion of the ankle joint, with the knees positioned under the bar.  The bar should not be touching the thighs, but it should be close.  Shoulders should be directly over the bar at this point.  This allows for the most vertical torso position, but more importantly, it allows for optimal use of the legs to produce force into the ground and propel the bar vertically.

During my first working sets of the power snatch at 70%, I found myself out of position with my knees too far back and shoulder too far in front of the bar.  As a result, I was relying on my back and not my legs, which led me to miss 2 snatches that should have been easy makes.  When I made the proper adjustment, the lifts and the weight were significantly easier and smoother.

Positions matter. Simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment