Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Muscle Snatch - Training Progression: Week 10, Day 3

Power Snatch
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 60%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 70%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 75%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 80%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 70%
1 Set of 1 Rep @ 75%

Power Clean + Jerk
1 Set of 1 P.Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 60%
1 Set of 1 P.Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 70%
1 Set of 1 P.Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 75%
1 Set of 1 P.Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 80%
1 Set of 1 P.Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 70%
1 Set of 1 P.Cl. + 1 Jr. @ 75%

Front Squat
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 70%
3 Sets of 2 Reps @ 80%

Power Jerk
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 60%
1 Set of 2 Reps @ 70%
2 Sets of 2 Reps @ 75%

Bench Press
3 Sets of 5 Reps

Daily Volume: 53
Weekly Volume: 191

I ended up PR'ing on both my power snatch and power clean!  Hit 90kg and 100kg, respectively.  First time benching today in a LOOONG time.  I ended up doing my working sets at 80kg.  Now onto the meat of what I wanted to write about.

The past few days, we've been discussing the muscle snatch and about implementing it more in our training, so today, I tried warming up with muscle snatch up to my 60%.  Previously, we hadn't used the muscle snatch much and never truly understood the carry over aside from the arm turn-over.

Needless to say, I'm convinced about it's importance.  My power snatches, up to about 80%, felt significantly easier than usual.  The reason?  The aggressive continued active pull on the bar post contact or extension.

At a certain point once the weight starts to become heavy enough, getting under the bar becomes paramount, and a very important piece of that is the pull, not drop, under.  That's exactly what the muscle snatch works on.

I'll continue to warm-up with more muscle snatches, so it will be interesting to see how it works with the full movements.






No comments:

Post a Comment